Follow this easy fondant recipe to make rolled fondant from scratch. By using fondant, you can create an extremely clean looking frosting layer on your cake and adds scope to apply embellishments.
Easy fondant recipe – what you need
This might surprise you, but the ingredients you need for this easy fondant recipe is actually not that complicating! You probably already have all of them in your kitchen!
- 7g of gelatin
- 1/4 cup of cold water (about 65ml)
- 1/2 cup of glucose syrup (about 125ml)
- 1 tablespoon of glycerin
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 8 cups of sifted confectioner’s sugar （about 900g)
1kg of fondant; Icing for a 9-inch cake
290 calories; 70g carbohydrates; 0.4g protein; 1.5g fat
Easy fondant recipe – Steps
- Place half of your sifted confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Combine gelatin and cold water. Leave the gelatin mixture at the top part of double boiler and allow it to be dissolved and thickened. Do not boil.
- Add glucose and glycerin into the mixture and stir until well-blended.
- Add in butter and remove mixture from heat just before the butter completely melted.
- Once removed from heat, stir in vanilla extract. Allow mixture to cool until lukewarm.
- Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture into the well of sugar and mix it. Add a small quantity of sugar at a time until stickiness disappears. Knead the mixture until it becomes stiff. Add a small amount of water (one drop at a time) to adjust if the fondant is too stiff.
- Use fondant immediately. Otherwise, store in the fridge after placing in airtight container. Bring to room temperature and knead until soft once ready to use.
There you go
For the best result from this easy fondant recipe, roll your fondant out to 5-6mm thickness. You may also replace glucose syrup with corn syrup. According to personal preference, you may colour it with three drops of food colouring based on your choice.